Saturday, December 17, 2005

Another Friday night...

There is something to be said for The Trailer Park Boys. I just recently finished a four episode "marathon" and I have to say, It's pretty funny. Nevermind the hapless characters, or even the zany plot lines. There is one thing about this show that makes it truly extraordinary:

JOHNATHAN TORRENCE

Okay, any of you who remember the CBC show "Street Cents" may remember this guy. Quite frankly, I still have some nightmares about the show. I can't even fathom some of the absolute crap they threw into "The pit". The fact of the matter is, this show is stuck in my head in a way that should be illegal. I still remember the number to call if you "had a beef" (1-800-565-BEEF in fact). As far as low budget consumerism for teenagers goes, it was pretty addictive. Or maybe that was just me.

I digress.

The point here is that Mr. Torrence plays J-ROC on the Trailer Park Boys. If you want to see something truly - how should I put this?- depressing? depraved? odd? Sure. You have to see him play this character. Besides Bubbles, who makes me laugh just for some of his inane comments, J-ROC really cracks me up. I really can't put my finger on why it's so goddamned entertaining. Perhaps it's like watching a train wreck - We're intimately involved with the complete "personality change" of Johnathan. Now, some of you will no doubt remember some of the zany characters he played on Street Cents (and god forbid you remember the horribly bad Johnovision), but this one takes the cake.

I know I'm about five years behind the Trailer Park Boys bandwagon. I guess I found solace in what can be widely considered more intellectually stimulating shows like Band Of Brothers, The Sopranos, 24 and so on. Basically, I'm asking for some forgiveness in allowing this jewel of Canadiana to escape my viewing attention.

Speaking of 24, the new season is out on DVD and it looks like we're going to be doing a true to life 24 marathon... from 7am Sunday until - you guessed it - 7am Monday. It's nice to be on vacation with nothing pressing on the agenda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home